first_imgOne man is now dead and several others injured following a two-vehicle smash-up in Georgetown in the wee hours of Sunday.The dead man has been identified as Jason Marques, 26, of Lot 85 West Ruimveldt, Georgetown.The accident occurred around 01:50h at the intersection of Carmichael and Middle Streets, Georgetown and involved a motor car, with registration number PRR 4249, and a pick-up truck, PMM 528.The damaged pick-up vehicle at the Brickdam Police StationAccording to reports, Marques was in the pick-up which was being driven by a 26-year-old resident of Fourth Street, Alexander Village, Georgetown, along with two other occupants – 17-year-old Mark Jacobs of Lot 32 Campbellville, Georgetown and 26-year-old Timothy Fairbian of Lot 212 Charlotte Street, Georgetown.It was reported that the motor car, driven by a 25-year-old resident of Bath Settlement, West Coast Berbice, was proceeding north along Carmichael Street while the pick-up was proceeding east along Middle Street.However, at the intersection, the driver of the car failed to stop and thus collided with the pick-up.As a result of the collision, the pick-up toppled several times before coming to a halt. The driver and the three occupants were taken out of the vehicle in a conscious state, after public-spirited citizens smashed the front windscreen.They were taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where they were examined by a doctor on duty.While receiving treatment, Marques succumbed to his injuries while Fairbian was admitted; his condition has been listed as critical. The teenager was treated and sent away.The dead man’s sister, Nikita, told media operatives that they were informed of the accident around 03:30h when they received a phone call from a friend of her brother.Upon learning of the accident, they rushed to the hospital where the 26-year-old father of two was receiving treatment. However, he succumbed around 04:00h. Marques sustained injuries to his neck and spine.According to his sister, Marques and his friends were at a popular night spot on Main Street, but they left and were on their way to another night spot in Alberttown when the accident occurred.Meanwhile, the Police have confirmed that a breathalyser test was conducted on both drivers and they were found to be above the prescribed limit of alcohol consumption.They are in custody assisting with the investigation. (Vahnu Manikchand)last_img