Jalen Green dunked over Kai Sotto in the second quarter—a play that best encapsulates FilAm Sports USA’s emphatic 90-67 romp of Ateneo in the 2019 NBTC League National Finals Wednesday.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ It was a total domination by FilAm Sports, which led by as much as 32 points.Sotto had 24 points and eight rebounds for the Blue Eaglets.Meanwhile, FEU-Manila knocked off NCAA champion Mapua-Manila, 67-58, to also advance to the next round. RJ Abarrientos led the Baby Tamaraws with 10 points and seven rebounds.ADVERTISEMENT The 6-foot-5 Green, a five-star recruit in the US, fired a game-high 31 points to propel FilAm Sports into the last eight.“I thought we played really well. We came out with energy. We didn’t have that in the first two games,” Green said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“We came out and actually played hard from the jump. We played defense. We held them to [67 points]. We were playing together and offense was flowing well,” he added.The 17-year-old Green had help with Kai Ballungay finishing with a near double-double with 16 points and nine rebounds. Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Miguel Romero Polo: Bamboo technology like no other Google Philippines names new country director Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Chot Reyes likes Gilas’ chances in 2019 World Cup: ‘We have proven we can compete’ LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving View comments
Guwahati, Feb 23 (PTI) Having failed to make the grade at the top tier Asian Champions League, Kolkata giants Mohun Bagan will begin their AFC Cup football campaign against Maziya Sports and Recreation Club of the Maldives in their home leg match here tomorrow. Mohun Bagan had to play in the AFC Cup, the second tier club competition of the continent, after losing 0-6 against Chinas Shandong Luneng in the second round of the qualifiers of the AFC Champions League early this month. The reigning I-League champion side are playing at the Indira Gandhi Athletics Stadium here as the Salt Lake stadium in Kolkata has been closed down to prepare it for next years Under-17 FIFA World Cup and none of the other stadiums nearby are of AFC standards. In fact, the Indira Gandhi Athletics Stadium will also host Mohun Bagans two other home matches in Group G on March 16 and May 11. Despite the disappointment of not being able to advance further in the AFC Champions League qualification round, Mohun Bagan are coming off a splendid run in the I-League. They are atop the leader board and have been unbeaten this season so far. Key player and striker Sony Norde said that the AFC Cup will be the real test for his side. “AFC Cup will be our real test now after triumphing over the I-League last year,” he said. Asked which one he would take between a derby (against East Bengal) win or a victory in AFC Cup, Norde said, “I would grab AFC win with both hands. Our supporters are emotionally connected to derby and it draws thousands of supporters to the stadium, but from club vantage point a win in the continent stage is huge. Be it a derby or any other match, we have to play with same intensity.” On the other hand, Maziya Sports & Recreation are one of Maldivess most successful sides. They have won the Maldives FA Cup on two occassions — in 2012 and 2014. They have also won the Maldivian FA Charity Shield last year. The Maldivian side have been regulars in the AFC Cup for the last three seasons though they have always bowed out in the group stages. They do not have the best of memories coming to India, as they lost to Bengaluru FC 1-2 last year. Apart from Mohun Bagan, Bengaluru Football Club, the runners-up in I-League last season, will also figure in the tournament in which 32 teams from 27 countries of Asia are participating. PTI PDS ATK PDSadvertisement
The Committee of Administrators Wednesday issued a show cause notice to Indian cricketers, Hardik Pandya and K L Rahul, and sought an explanation within 24 hours for their remarks on women on a TV show.The show cause came hours after Pandya apologised for making remarks that were construed as misogynist and sexist on celebrity chat show ‘Koffee With Karan’, saying he got “carried away by the nature” of the show.”We have sent show cause notices to Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul for their comments. They have given 24 hours to give an explanation,” CoA chief Vinod Rai told PTI.Pandya appeared on the show, hosted by film maker Karan Johar, with his India teammate K L Rahul.Earlier, taking to Twitter, Pandya posted, “After reflecting on my comments on Koffee with Karan, I would like to apologise to everyone concerned who I may have hurt in any way.”Honestly, I got a bit carried away with the nature of the show. In no way did I mean to disrespect or hurt anyone’s sentiments. Respect.”pic.twitter.com/O0UlpFm43ohardik pandya (@hardikpandya7) January 9, 2019On the show, Hardik Pandya boasted about hooking up with multiple women and even spoke about how open he is with his parents. Hardik Pandya revealed that he even informed his parents that he lost his virginity by telling them, “Aaj mai kar ke aaya.””When I lost my virginity, I came home and said, ‘Main karke aya hai aaj (I had sex today)’. At a party my parents asked me ‘acha tera wala (women) kaun sa hai [who is your interest here?] so I said yeh, yeh, yeh (pointing out women)’ and they were like ‘waah proud of you beta’,” Pandya boasted.advertisementIt is all very well to issue show-cause notices now to KL Rahul and Hardik Pandya. But I do wish the BCCI spends time in sensitising these young players to life beyond the dressing room; to getting them outside the bubble that is inevitable given the adulation they get.Harsha Bhogle (@bhogleharsha) January 9, 2019Also Read | Hardik Pandya draws BCCI ire after making sexist remarks on Koffee with KaranThe 25-year-old also said things like, “I like to watch and observe how they (women) move. I’m little from the black side so I need to see how they move,” when Karan Johar asked him why he doesn’t ask women for their names in nightclubs.Rahul then went on to reveal how they both decide on who gets to date a girl when Karan Johar asked them what happens when both of them like a particular person? “Upto the woman,” Rahul replied.But Pandya interrupted and said, “Nahi nahi aisa kuch nahi hai, talent pe hota hai. Jisko mila woh leke jao. It is on talent.”
Man Utd midfielder Lingard happy working with ‘great Ole’ againby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard is delighted to be playing for manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer again.The pair worked together with United reserves.“Ole is great,“ said Lingard.“He is great at one-on-one [conversations] with players. He has great man-management. He will always speak to you and tell you what to do.”“When I am on the right wing he likes me to come inside and make things happen. He gives me licence and freedom to do that.”“Ole knew me from [when he coached] the Reserves and knows what kind of a player I am. When I was a young player he was always there on hand to give advice and help the youngsters out. He helped me out as I was coming through and I learned a lot from him.”“He’s very special to this club and for this club. He knows where Man United has to be and that is at the very top and putting in performances like we did [against Bournemouth].””We are enjoying playing football and winning games three, four or five-one. Obviously we would like a clean sheet. But we will work on that and try to improve on it.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
ANN ARBOR, MI – OCTOBER 10: Michigan Wolverines head football coach Jim Harbaugh watches the action during the second quarter of the game against the Northwestern Wildcats on October 10, 2015 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Wolverines defeated the Wildcats 38-0. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)It’s rivalry week for Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines. The Ann Arbor, Mich. program is coming off a huge win on Saturday night against Wisconsin. This weekend, the Wolverines are traveling to Michigan State.It’s a big one, obviously, with Michigan emerging as a legitimate College Football Playoff contender. Michigan State, meanwhile, still has a chance to win the Big Ten.We can’t wait for Saturday.Harbaugh wasn’t saying much at his press conference this afternoon, though.The Wolverines’ head coach said very little about Michigan State and wasn’t saying anything about injuries.Jim Harbaugh said it was a “great opportunity” to beat rival Michigan State and to beat a ranked team on the road (ending 0-17 skid) and I couldn’t get him to say much more— Larry Lage (@LarryLage) October 15, 2018He was straight up refusing to answer anything injury-related.“I won’t answer any injury-related questions.”Harbaugh’s been asked multiple times about injury statuses and game-plan related questions. Refusing to answer. “I won’t answer any injury-related questions.”— Kyle Rowland (@KyleRowland) October 15, 2018It’s officially rivalry week.Michigan and Michigan State are set to kick off at noon on Saturday. The game is on FOX.
No athlete in Canada held the spotlight in 2017 quite like Denis Shapovalov.The 18-year-old’s remarkable run up the ATP rankings has earned the Richmond Hill, Ont., tennis player the Lionel Conacher Award as the Canadian Press male athlete of the year.Shapovalov collected 31 per cent of the votes in a poll of broadcasters and sports editors from across the country.He edged Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby by a single vote. Slugger Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds was third with 17 per cent of the vote.It is the third time in five years the award has gone to a tennis player. Milos Raonic, still Canada’s top-ranked player at 24th despite an injury-shortened season, took it in 2013 and 2014.Shapovalov is hot on Raonic’s heels. He started the year ranked 250th in the world and reached as high as 49th after big performances at the Rogers Cup in Montreal and the U.S. Open in New York. He ended the season ranked 51st.
KENTVILLE, N.S. – At first, Richard Kirk couldn’t hear the screams.The wind was howling, and rain battered the Nova Scotia carpenter’s face, as he looked down at a vehicle that had gone off a slippery Annapolis Valley road last Friday night and into a watery ditch.Then he heard Alex Pineo and Cassidy Jones, frightened and shouting for help. They were trapped, the frigid water entering their battered car as they struggled to open the jammed doors.He said he didn’t even think about it — he just acted reflexively to help.“I hollered. I threw a piece of ice at the side of the car so they knew I was there,” he said, adding he then called 911.“I just jumped in the water, put my feet against the bank and shouted, ‘I’ll get you out. Just hold on.’”“I put my back against the door and gave it a rock and I was able to get the driver’s side rear door open.”The 33-year-old came forward this week after Pineo put out a social media appeal for help finding his rescuer.The couple had managed to escape the vehicle, but in the confusion the pair didn’t get Kirk’s name or telephone number as rescue vehicles arrived.Kirk said in an interview Wednesday he had come across the crashed vehicle as he was driving back to his home in Hall’s Harbour from Wolfville. Afterward, he simply continued on his way, and told his wife, Amelia Kirk, that he’d just carried out a single-handed rescue.“I told her, I just pulled two people out of a car on Church Street that was in a drainage ditch,” he recalled.He said Amelia was pleased with him, and he received “an extra plate of supper,” but he didn’t expect further recognition.“I just did it. I don’t see something like that as an act of heroism. People are in need. When somebody’s in need you help them. That’s what I was taught,” he said, as he prepared to start his work day as a contractor building houses.He also made light of how he’d shifted the car in order to open the door, saying it simply seemed “using my body was the easiest way.”Eventually, though, Pineo’s appeal produced an answer: Their saviour was this unassuming carpenter from Hall’s Harbour.Pineo was unavailable for an interview Wednesday, but said in an email: “We’ve found the man who helped us and we’ve thanked him.”Kirk insisted Wednesday it was hardly any trouble: “My boots were wet, and I had wet feet. I work outside all winter. A little bit of wet feet, that happens on a regular basis.”Kirk’s aunt, Sheila Tanner, said in an interview her nephew is a low-key fellow, and she’s not surprised he’s downplaying his actions.“He’s a gentle, kind-hearted soul,” she said.— Story by Michael Tutton in Halifax.Follow (at)mtuttoncporg on Twitter.
Bret Michaels will be rocking the NYCB Theatre at Westbury later tonight, September 20, and fans can help him fight hunger by bringing non-perishable food to the show.rock CAN roll founder Aimee Holtzman with Bret MichaelsThe singer is once again teaming with rock CAN roll to restock the shelves of local emergency food agencies.The NYCB Theatre at Westbury has been a great supporter and friend to rock CAN roll from it’s inception. rock CAN roll volunteers have been on site accepting donations at every show for the past four years. To date, rock CAN roll has delivered over 100,000 healthy and nutritious food items and basic necessities.Rock CAN Roll collaborates with rock concerts, schools, corporations and private individuals to collect healthy and nutritious and non-perishable food (and basic provisions) for distribution to local agencies and into the hands of children, seniors and families who live with hunger and poverty.To find out more about the show, click here. You can also visit the rock CAN roll website here.
On February 25, 2018, Women Like Us Foundation will present the documentary Women Like Us, Three Journeys. One Mission. To Change the World.Women Like Us, Three Journeys. One Mission. To Change the WorldThe film, executive produced by Women Like Us co-founder Linda Rendleman, and co-produced by Women Like Us Global Ambassador Catt Sadler, is a rallying cry for women to continue the fight for equality for all.Women Like Us is a film that lifts and motivates the spirit. This story follows three women on a moving journey of exploration, adversity and evolution, in addition to witnessing the unimaginable social injustices women face around the globe. Award winning journalist Catt Sadler and her mother, Linda Rendleman, activist/author and cofounder of Women Like Us Foundation, along with Sally Colon, film director, travel the US and Kenya to engage in conversations with astounding women tackling unimaginable social injustices such as female genital mutilation, human trafficking, teen suicide, homelessness and more.“I’m thrilled to be coming back to Indy to connect with all the wonderful women who are making change for the community. It was the first place I wanted to come to and share our film. Indy means so much to me and my mom, Linda,” commented Catt Sadler.The Women Like Us Foundation promotes gender equality and social justice through funding women’s nonprofits fighting sexual abuse, mitigating homelessness, and supporting women’s leadership through education. Rendleman formed Women Like Us in Indianapolis ten years ago.Included in the film are local resident and international artist Nancy Noel who supports the NA Noel school in Kenya and Fishers resident Deb Myers, founder of the One Girl at a Time Foundation.“Our work of 10 years has created awareness and funded initiatives led by women with an emphasis on gender equality and social justice,” emphasizes Linda Rendleman, the CEO and President of Women Like Us Foundation. “This film allows us to take their stories across the country with a call to action for women to find their passion and speak their voices for change.”Event sponsors include KAR Auctions, Faegre, Baker, Daniels , LLP, Raymond James Network for Women Advisors, Baritone Sales Group, One Girl at a Time Foundation, Sharonweb Autism Foundation, Network of Women in Business and You Can Free Us.The documentary will screen on February 25th at 6:30pm at the Indianapolis IMAX Theatre (650 W. Washington St. Indianapolis, Indiana 46204), preceded by a 5:00pm VIP/Media Red Carpet reception. Catt Sadler and Linda Rendleman will co-host a Q&A at 8:00pm, following the film.Tickets are available at IMAX.
17 January 2008Disappointed with the slow pace of change in Myanmar, the Security Council today said an early return to the country by United Nations special envoy Ibrahim Gambari could help promote progress towards democratization and national reconciliation. Mr. Gambari, who has a standing invitation to return to Myanmar, had requested to go there this month. However, the Government has said it prefers he visit in mid-April. In a statement read out to the press by Ambassador Giadalla Ettalhi of Libya, which holds the rotating presidency for January, the 15-member body “regretted the slow rate of progress so far” towards meeting the objectives laid out in a presidential statement issued by the Council last October.They include steps by the Government for a “genuine dialogue” with detained opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and all concerned to achieve an inclusive national reconciliation process, and the release of all political prisoners and remaining detainees.“Council members underscored the importance of further progress, noting that an early visit to Myanmar by Mr. Gambari could help facilitate this,” the statement added.Speaking to reporters following the Council’s discussions, Mr. Gambari said that while the date of his return is still under discussion, “in view of [the] many issues left on the table, the earlier a visit occurs the better.” He said the Myanmar authorities need to move toward tangible progress on the constitution, freedom for all political prisoners, and addressing the root causes of discontent among the population. Mr. Gambari, who has visited Myanmar twice since the Government used force to crack down on peaceful protesters in the summer of 2007, intends to visit India and China later this month.He noted that while countries in the region have placed on record their support for the good offices role of the Secretary-General on the issue of Myanmar, “there is still more that everybody can do.”All those who have a role to play, both inside the country and outside, should be given the chance to do so in the interest of moving toward “a peaceful, prosperous but democratic Myanmar with full respect for the human rights of its people,” he stated.