Category: zdiqloon Page 1 of 18

The Latest: 2020 hockey worlds host won’t try again for 2021

first_img Associated Press May 1, 2020 The European Masters golf tournament scheduled for August in Switzerland has been canceled.Organizers say the decision came after the Swiss government extended a ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people through August.The tournament in the Swiss Alps was scheduled for Aug. 27-30.Organizers say the course at Crans-sur-Sierre Golf Club will open to the public on May 11 as part of the easing of social restrictions.___ The Latest: 2020 hockey worlds host won’t try again for 2021 ___The 20 clubs in Serie A are in agreement that they want to finish the season if they can do so in accordance with government guidelines and by respecting health regulations and protocols.The Italian clubs met by video conference and all supported a statement issued a day earlier by league president Paolo Dal Pino.Dal Pino said it was “only natural that the Serie A league wants to play soccer. It would be against our nature to say the contrary.”___ The 2020 championship had been due to start next week in Zurich and Lausanne. It was canceled in March.Swiss officials say they had talks with the International Ice Hockey Federation and 2021 worlds co-hosts Belarus and Latvia about Switzerland taking its turn next year.That has now been ruled out.The Swiss federation says the financial risks were too great and there is no guarantee the coronavirus outbreak will allow the next championship in May 2021.Switzerland hopes to host again in the coming years but the IIHF has already allocated world championships through 2025.center_img Hungarian Grand Prix organizers say spectators won’t be allowed at this year’s Formula One race if it goes ahead.The race is planned for Aug. 2 but Formula One officials are rewriting the 2020 schedule after the coronavirus pandemic forced cancellations and postponements.Hungarian race officials announced their plan after the government banned large gatherings through Aug. 15.F1 chairman Chase Carey says the season could start July 5 with the Austrian GP. He hopes 15-18 races can take place beginning in Europe before moving to Eurasia, Asia and the Americas.___ Duplantis broke Lavillenie’s world record in February. He cleared 6.17 meters and then 6.18 on consecutive weekends.World Athletics says it’s looking to hold Ultimate Garden Clash competitions in other events.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The three biggest names in men’s pole vault will compete against each other in a rare sporting event during the coronavirus pandemic. And they’ll do it from their own backyards.Video links will connect world record holder Armand Duplantis, world champion Sam Kendricks and former Olympic champion Renaud Lavillenie.World Athletics calls it “The Ultimate Garden Clash” and will stream it on social media.Duplantis will be in Louisiana, Kendricks in Mississippi and Lavillenie in France.Their challenge is to clear the most 5-meter jumps within 30 minutes. The athletes agreed on the format because adjusting the bar is not practical without officials in place. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Swiss hockey federation says it won’t seek to host the 2021 men’s world championship after losing this year’s event because of the coronavirus pandemic.last_img read more

USC professor honored with Wisconsin award

first_imgUSC professor Estela Bensimon was recognized this weekend with the University of Wisconsin school system’s award given annually to women who make significant contributions to education. She is the first person from outside Wisconsin to receive the honor.“I can’t explain how profound an affect she has had on all our campuses,” said Helen Klebesadel, director of the Women’s Studies Consortium within the University of Wisconsin system.The 2010 Outstanding Women of Color in Education Award was given to Bensimon in recognition of the “equity scorecard” she created. The scorecard maps an individual school’s racial and ethnic data. The scorecard then looks at statistical gaps and provides strategies for a specific campus to increase minority graduation rates, according to Bensimon.“We have created the tools to help colleges be much more intentional in planning where they need to be in the future,” Bensimon said.Bensimon, who came to USC in 1995, served as the associate dean for USC’s Rossier School of Education from 1996-2000. When she stepped down in 2000, she created the Center for Urban Education with the goal of creating diversity in higher education.“It’s not only important to bring minorities into college, but also graduate them in proportions equal to their representation in colleges or to the graduation rate of all other students,” Bensimon said.Co-worker Sandra Luca, a research associate at USC’s Rossier School of Education, said Bensimon’s character, in addition to her work, makes her deserving of the award.“She just has this unyielding commitment to making things better and to really focus on some of the racial inequities that are still very much present in this country,” Luca said.When Bensimon spoke about her research at a conference a few years ago, she was approached by the vice president of the Wisconsin school system about using the scorecard in Wisconsin. Bensimon said she was skeptical of Wisconsin’s involvement initially.“It would require them to invest substantial resources but they were very methodical about it,” she said. “It takes a certain amount of courage to look at your data because you have to desegregate everything by race and ethnicity but the university did, willingly.”Bensimon and her team worked with all but two of the campuses in the 16-school University of Wisconsin system. Other schools in states like Nevada and Pennsylvania are also in talks to use Bensimon’s scorecard in the future.Her work with the CUE Equity Model has been mentioned in the Harvard Education Review and other publications. The center has received funding from the National Science, Forbes and Lumina foundations, among other public and private organizations, like the University of Wisconsin.Bensimon said she is grateful to USC for the opportunities it has afforded her.“USC made it possible for me to be a little out of the box,” she said. “It’s a little risky, it’s doing research in a manner that’s different than social science. It’s controversial.”Although Bensimon was the first out-of-state recipient, Klebesadel said the choice wasn’t hard.“I work every day with the people who are using her research on our campuses,” she said. “They are using the most profound tool. There are a lot of good ideas, but there are not a lot of good ideas also grounded in evidence.”Luca said Bensimon’s impact extends far beyond her research.“This is just one piece of what Dr. Bensimon does; she’s a professor and researcher but also a mentor to a lot of people,” she said.last_img read more

Men’s 4×400 team hoping to qualify for Rio

first_imgThey’ll need a run of at least 3.04.25 seconds or faster when they go in the final this evening to get into the top 16 Rio qualifying positions.Before that, Kevin Batt is in action in the men’s 1500 metres final.last_img

For the Third Straight Day, Florida Reports Less Than 8000 New…

first_imgThe new cases follow Monday’s 4,752 new reported cases, the lowest for Florida since late June. On Sunday, 7104 new cases were reported. Healthcare workers work at a walk-up COVID-19 testing site during the coronavirus pandemic, Friday, July 17, 2020, in Miami Beach, Florida. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky) Last week, Florida set records for new resident deaths reported Tuesday (186), Wednesday (216), Thursday (253) and Friday (257). The fatalities announced on a given day are not necessarily all from the previous 24 hours. The state is now up to 497,330 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 7,402 resident deaths attributed to COVID-19, according to the Florida Department of Health. At least 124 more non-residents have died in Florida, including two more reported Tuesday. The number of COVID-19 deaths also declined with the number of confirmed cases, after surging and breaking the state record multiple times last week.center_img Florida has not seen less than 8,000 new cases a day since July 7. But of course, this decline is as a result of all the state-supported testing sites being closed last week. The sites closed on Thursday evening due to Tropical Storm Isaias and thus, the number of tests received by the state’s health department has decreased over the past three days. Today, 245 COVID-19 residents’ deaths from COVID-19 were reported, the third-highest total announced in a day since the start of the coronavirus outbreak. The state also added 5,446 new cases. For the third straight day, Florida has recorded less than 8,000 new COVID-19 cases, leaving many residents to think that the state is now over the second wave of the virus.last_img read more

Luka Doncic stars as Mavericks hand depleted Golden State Warriors humiliating 48-point loss [VIDEO]

first_imgLuka Doncic starred as the Dallas Mavericks beat the injury-hit Golden State Warriors 142-94 – their heaviest defeat since 1973.The 20-year-old Slovenian scored 35 points against a team missing its star players through injury.The Warriors, who named the minimum eight players for the game, have the worst record in the NBA this season.“Flush it down the toilet. Move on. You don’t take anything from a game like this,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said.His side – NBA finalists in each of the past five seasons – sit bottom of the Western Conference with three wins and 13 losses.But their defeat in Dallas was their biggest since a playoff game loss by 56 points to the Lakers 46 years ago.Doncic even outscored the whole Warriors side in the first quarter, with 22 points to their 16.He went on to record a second straight triple-double with 10 rebounds and 11 assists.“He’s a very special player on a special run,” said Mavs coach Rick Carlisle. “This is not big news. It’s getting to be pretty normal.” Elsewhere, Kawhi Leonard returned from injury and paired up with fellow summer recruit Paul George for the first time as the Los Angeles Clippers recorded a 107-104 overtime victory over the Boston Celtics. The two combined for 42 points in their first game together.Giannis Antetokounmpo’s 33 points and 11 rebounds saw the Milwaukee Bucks to their fifth win in a row – and ninth from 10 – as they beat the Atlanta Hawks 135-127.And Houston Rockets’ eight-game winning streak was ended in a 105-95 defeat by the Denver Nuggets, for whom Nikola Jokic scored a season-high 27 points – despite James Harden also scoring 27 points, seven rebounds and seven assists and Russell Westbrook adding 25 points.Watch the full highlights below:last_img read more

Nick Bosa injury update: 49ers rookie has ankle sprain, will sit preseason

first_img NFL news and notes: Cowboys’ Stephen Jones talks Ezekiel Elliott’s status; 49ers get Jerick McKinnon back #49ers GM John Lynch on @knbr said Nick Bosa sustained an ankle sprain that will knock him out for the exhibition season, at least. “We won’t see in the preseason and we’ll go from there. … We’ll get him right and he’ll be a great player for a long time in this league.”— Matt Maiocco (@MaioccoNBCS) August 8, 2019“We won’t see in the preseason and we’ll go from there. … We’ll get him right and he’ll be a great player for a long time in this league,” Lynch saidNFL Network first reported that Bosa left San Francisco’s practice Wednesday with the injury and underwent an MRI later in the day. Related News Bosa stayed down on the field after he was tangled up with teammates during a run play, according to ESPN. He was examined by trainers, but eventually walked off under his own power. Jerick McKinnon injury update: 49ers back (ACL) activated from PUP listcenter_img Nick Bosa appears to have avoided a major injury.The 49ers rookie pass rusher, the No. 2 pick in the 2019 draft, has an ankle sprain, team GM John Lynch confirmed Thursday. Bosa will be held out of the preseason games as a precaution. San Francisco defensive coordinator Robert Saleh praised Bosa’s play in training camp last week.“So far he’s been doing a very good job getting better every day,” Saleh said, via the Sacramento Bee. “He is winning some one-on-ones, he’s not winning all of them, which you don’t expect. He is getting better. His whole deal is to continue to get better, stay healthy, improve on his game, and add a second repertoire to keep adding to his skill set with regard to pass rush. He’s really good in the run game, could get better, but he’s progressing the right way.”San Francisco defensive back Jason Verrett also sprained his ankle in practice Wednesday, according to NFL Network’s report.last_img read more

Maximal Engagement is the Key for Victory

first_img(Source: Klix / photo: basket.ba) The “Mejdan” arena in Tuzla is about to host the second match of this year’s Eurobasket qualifications with B&H and Island. Yesterday all tickets for this event were sold. There should be around 5 500 fans of the B&H basketball team at this match.“It is great to be in Tuzla again. I consider this town my second house. We did the trainings, the match in London too and now there is this match against Island ahead of us. Their team plays in a specific way. They change their defense and we have to be extremely well prepared to win.” – says Mirza Teletović, the captain of the B&H team who started his career in Mejdan, during the match against Netherlands.Andrija Stipanović commented on the match in London. He considers it to be very important.“After that victory, we felt as if a big burden has fallen of our back. I feel we are going to play even better in the matches to come. I believe that we are going to win in front of our fans in Tuzla.” – says Stipanović.The selector Duško Ivanović missed the press conference before the match against Island. The contract of sponsorship between KS B&H and Konzum was signed right before the players started to talk. The match is to be held on Sunday at 20:00 o’clock.last_img read more

Wednesday August 28th KGLO Morning News

first_imgListen to the KGLO Morning News from Wednesday August 28thlast_img

Mighty Esperance melt African hopes of Tanzania’s Azam

first_imgJohannesburg, South Africa | AFP |Esperance of Tunisia demonstrated why they are ranked 342 places above Azam of Tanzania in Africa by winning 3-0 on Tuesday to reach the CAF Confederation Cup play-offs.The Tunis club, winners of all the CAF competitions except the Confederation Cup, qualified 4-2 on aggregate after suffering a surprise first leg defeat in Dar es Salaam nine days ago.After having a first half goal disallowed for offside in the last 16 second leg, Esperance went ahead three minutes into the second half when Saad Bguir converted a free-kick.Haythem Jouini doubled the lead just past the hour and Fakhreddine Ben Youssef put the overall outcome beyond doubt with a third goal nine minutes from time.An ice cream company sponsors Azam, who were handicapped by the absence of three regulars.Injuries ruled out Ivorian striker Kipre Tchetche, whose round of 32 hat-trick is the only one in the competition this year, and compatriot and centre-back Pascal Wawa.Tanzanian full-back Shomari Kapombe is being treated in Johannesburg for a pulmonary embolism after suffering chest pains.Stade Gabesien were another Tunisian club to reach the play-offs, scheduled for May against CAF Champions League last 16 losers.They also triumphed 3-0 at home against Zanaco of Zambia after coming from behind in the first leg two weekends ago to force a 1-1 draw. Ahmed Hosny, who equalised in Lusaka, scored again midway through the opening half in Gabes.Giant Hichem Essifi doubled the lead soon after and completed the scoring during the second half.Gabesien have won two of six qualifiers and drawn the rest in a first Confederation Cup campaign.Sagrada Esperance of Angola have been equally impressive in securing a play-offs place that was clinched through a 2-0 home win over V Club Mokanda of Congo Brazzaville.Guedes Lupapa scored six minutes after half-time in remote mining town Dundo and Osvaldo ‘Joka’ Palana completed a 4-1 aggregate victory with a last-minute goal.Since losing at home to Ajax Cape Town of South Africa in a preliminary round first leg, Sagrada have been unbeaten in five matches, winning four.The matches in Tunisia and Angola were the first in the 13 years of the second-tier African competition to be officially scheduled for midweek.National associations seeking more weekends for domestic fixtures triggered the change and the second legs of the play-offs and three group matchdays are also set for Tuesdays and Wednesdays.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Pochettino officially FREE to sign for clubs as Spurs gardening leave ends

first_imgMAURICIO POCHETTINO is officially free to sign for another club after his Spurs gardening leave came to an end on Monday.The Argentine was axed by Tottenham in November and paid a £12.5million compensation package that included a clause not to manage another club for six months.2 Former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is now free to sign for another clubCredit: ReutersThat time has now come to an end, meaning interested parties will not have to fork out any cash to secure Poch’s services.Real Madrid are known to be long-time suitors of last year’s Champions League finalist.And Manchester United have long been linked with Pochettino as a replacement for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.However, it is Newcastle who are leading the charge for the talented tactician.2The fallen giants are on the verge of being taken over in a £300m deal by a Saudi-led consortium.And they want Pochettino to replace current boss Steve Bruce with immediate effect.Newcastle are ready to hand him an incredible £19m-a-year, a huge increase on the reported £8.5m he was earning at Spurs.Poch will also be backed in the transfer window with a gargantuan war chest.Most Read In SportTHROUGH ITRobbie Keane reveals Claudine’s father was ’50-50′ in coronavirus battle’I ACCEPT’McGregor accepts Silva fight at UFC catchweight of 176lbs in huge super-fightTOP SELLERGavin Whelan has gone from League of Ireland to David Beckham’s InstagramPicturedA CUT ABOVEMike Tyson shows two-inch cut ‘picked up in training’ ahead of boxing returnI SAW ROORodallega saw Rooney ‘drinking like madman’ & Gerrard ‘on bar dancing shirtless’PicturedAN EYEFULMeet Playboy model and football agent Anamaria Prodan bidding to buy her own clubOne player said to be top of Newcastle’s wish list is Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly.He is said to be interested in a move to St James’ Park.But Newcastle will have to compete with Man Utd and Liverpool for the Senegalese superstar.Tottenham ask sacked Pochettino to take pay cut on severance package due to coronavirus shutdownlast_img read more

Page 1 of 18

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén