Gilles Peress

I don't trust words. I trust pictures.

About MeAbout Me

News

Nick Evans to help coach Quins

first_imgThe 36 year old New Zealander retired from playing at the end of the season after becoming Quins’ record points scorer in his nine years at The Stoop.”I am delighted Nick has agreed to the offer to join the Harlequins coaching team,” the Premiership side’s director of rugby John Kingston said.”His role will allow him to bring new and innovative ideas which will benefit the team massively.”Evans won 16 caps for New Zealand and was one of the most successful overseas imports to the Premiership, winning the title with Quins in 2012.The first-five scored 2,249 points in his 208 senior appearances.During the past two years he has coached Wimbledon RFC, guiding them to promotion to National Two last season.”He was an unbelievably intelligent player and has already met considerable success coaching Wimbledon over the last few seasons,” Kingston added. Photo: PHOTOSPORT Nick Evans of Harlequins in action against the Exeter Chiefs at Twickenham Stoop, 2015.last_img read more

Kearney coy on Nikorima joining Warriors

first_imgNikorima has been left out of the Broncos side to play South Sydney tomorrow with Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold saying he needed time to ponder his future.Seibold has said he couldn’t guarantee the out of form Nikorima a future at the NRL club beyond 2020.An announcement on Nikorima’s early release from the Broncos is believed to be imminent and Kearney confirmed the Warriors had offered Nikorima a four year deal from 2020 but Brisbane appear ready to let him go sooner although Kearney was sensitive about discussing Nikorima’s immediate future.”Whatever happens this year or (in the future) that’s in the (Broncos and Kodi Nikorima’s agent) hands and that’s all I need to say about that,” said Kearney.”I’m happy to talk about Sunday’s match and who’s available and who’s not available but that’s all I have to say on the (Nikorima) matter.”Senior Warriors players have dismissed concerns about Nikorima’s patchy form for Brisbane saying his arrival at the club would be a “great buy”.”I think it genuinely is going to be a great buy for the club,” said hooker Isaac Luke.Kearney was happier to talk about the NRL conceding a refereeing error effectively cost his side a win over the Melbourne Storm last week.The NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley said earlier this week that the referees made an error in awarding Melbourne a decisive penalty in the Storm’s 13-12 win.While frustrated Kearney said it’s good the NRL can admit the mistake “which wasn’t always the way in the past.””I get that everyone makes mistake but in that situation it was pretty tough to take given the circumstances of the game but you’ve got to live with it and I am hoping that we get a couple of those (decisions going our way) in the near future.last_img read more

VIDEO: 2015 Rugby World Cup Daily round-up

first_imgVunipola has been ruled out of the rest of the World Cup with a knee ligament strain.Harlequins number eight Nick Easter, 37, who has 52 Test caps, has been called up as a replacement.England have played two games in the World Cup. They beat Fiji 35-11 followed by a defeat against Wales on Saturday,They are third in Pool A and face Australia at Twickenham on Saturday and Uruguay a week later, with the top two progressing to the quarter-finals.last_img

Rome condemns the banners of Lazio fans in which they call Zaniolo “lame”

first_img“Zaniolo as Rocca, lame from Rome”, accompanied by the drawing of a wheelchair, is the writing of the banner made by some fans del Lazio, which caused the outrage of the surroundings of the Romanist complex and from your technician, Fonseca “Who has done it is not football fans. Who has done it does not love football”Fonseca said during the press conference prior to the Olympic derby, between Roma, fourth, and Lazio, third.Zaniolo, a talented 20-year-old midfielder, the ligament broke crossed right knee last January 6 during a Roma-Juventus and sees his participation in the Eurocup next June in the I was going to lead the Italian national team. In recent weeks, a part of the Lazio fans had sung chants that mocked of the midfielder from Rome (Zaniolo jumps with us) and the tension increased this Saturday after the banner stuck a few meters from the sports center of the city’s rivals.There were also controversies over the jokes against Rocca, who suffered up to five knee injuries that forced him to anticipate his withdrawal of football and still causing serious problems. The Portuguese Paulo Fonseca, coach of Rome, condemned this Saturday the banners displayed by a part of the fans of Lazio in which he mocks the serious crusader injury suffered recently by the romanista midfielder Nicoló Zaniolo. Some Lazio fans placed in the early hours of this Saturday, the eve of the derby of the capital of this Sunday, a banner in the area of ​​the sports center of Rome in which they define Zaniolo as “a lame one” and compare him to Francesco Rocca, former Romanian player who had to retire at age 26 after an ordeal of knee injuries.last_img read more

Kevin Krawietz goes from winning Roland Garros in pairs to being a stocker in a supermarket

first_imgWhat do you be taught there? “Extra appreciation. Colleagues right here generally stand up at 5, they’re in the shop from five-thirty to fill the cabinets,” he stated. “I, then again, have had the posh in my lifetime of being ready to flip my pastime into my occupationKrawietz made a splash on the French Open final 12 months alongside Andreas Mies by winning the Roland Garros doubles competitors. Krawietz is at present licensed to prepare as a skilled on an indoor tennis courtroom, thanks to an exception allow. “I play there three or 4 instances a week. In any other case, I purchased inline skates and use them to get on and off the Nymphenburg Canal in MunichAside from that, the motto for him is: disconnect and carton. The phrase service at present has a new that means for Kevin Krawietz, the German tennis participant who gained the doubles in the final version of the Roland Garros match along with Andreas Mies, He works as a stockman in a supermarket in these instances with out sports activities competitions. “I’ve been working for a supermarket for a number of weeks for a primary wage of 450 euros,” Krawietz, 28, revealed in an interview revealed right this moment by the journal “Der Spiegel”.You aren’t but allowed to scan and acquire merchandise on the checkout. “Along with a colleague, I replenish cabinets, I guarantee that the sausages and cheese are in sight and I type the empty bins, we name that cardboard“Krawietz reported on his second job.” Final week I as soon as did safety on the entrance, spraying the procuring carts with disinfectant. “Krawietz had”been planning to search for a regular job for a whereas, thanks to the coronavirus now I’ve the chance to accomplish that“he defined.last_img read more

Sports Briefs

first_imgWebb removed GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Island (CMC): Jeffrey Webb, the disgraced former president of CONCACAF, has finally been removed as president of the Cayman Islands Football Association (CIFA). CIFA made the announcement in a statement issued after an emergency meeting of its executive Monday night which followed Webb’s guilty plea in a probe into corruption in international football. Webb initially pleaded not guilty to the charges but US Department of Justice officials revealed last week that he has switched his plea and agreed to forfeit more than US$6 million of ill-gotten gains. Putin moves to end WCup 2018 delays MOSCOW (AP): President Vladimir Putin has demanded delays in construction of 2018 World Cup projects be quickly overcome. After chairing a meeting on Russia’s preparations yesterday, Putin says there have been “certain difficulties” at various facilities, and he highlighted the Baltic port of Kaliningrad, where “delays there should be fixed as quickly as possible.”last_img read more

Lowly Hurricanes blow away Scorpions in Regional First Class Championship

first_img VOCANOES IN TROUBLE AT GUYANA NATIONAL STADIUM: Guyana Jaguars, leading Trinidad and Tobago Red Force by 58 on first innings, reached 244 for four at the close on the third day of their sixth-round match yesterday. Scores: JAGUARS 237 (Vishaul Singh 104 not out, Veerasammy Permaul 47, Leon Johnson 23; Marlon Richards 3-41, Rayad Emrit 3-44, Jon-Russ Jagessar 3-59) and 244 for four (Leon Johnson 111 not out, Tagenarine Chanderpaul 42, Anthony Bramble 39 not out; Jon-Russ Jagessar 4-67). RED FORCE 179 (Yannic Cariah 68, Jason Mohammed 30, Evin Lewis 26; Veerasammy Permaul 5-65, Devendra Bishoo 3-48). JAGUARS IN COMMAND NORTH SOUND, Antigua (CMC): Off-spinner Rahkeem Cornwall grabbed his first-ever 10-wicket haul in first-class cricket to inspire Leeward Islands Hurricanes to an 85-run victory over Jamaica Scorpions and their first win of the Regional first-class championship here yesterday. Starting the final day of their sixth-round clash on 58 for two in search of 366 for victory, Scorpions were dismissed for 280 – undermined by Cornwall – who claimed seven for 131 to end with match figures of 12 for 205. Barbadian right-hander Kirk Edwards converted his overnight 28 into a top score of 93, while tail-ender Sheldon Cottrell got 39 and Carlton Baugh Jr, 25, but the task of scoring 308 on the final day proved too much for the visitors. Hurricanes had lost all five of their previous outings this season to languish at the bottom of the six-team standings. However, they broke out of their slump in style, taking wickets at regular intervals throughout the day to ensure that there was no way back for Scorpions. Edwards seemed to be steering Scorpions to safety when he anchored a series of small partnerships. He struck 13 fours and three sixes in an innings spanning 142 deliveries and 189 minutes before he was sixth out. He extended his overnight third-wicket stand with AndrÈ McCarthy to 41 before Cornwall grabbed his first wicket of the morning, trapping McCarthy lbw for 22 after 35 balls at the crease. Edwards then put on 38 with Test batsman Jermaine Blackwood, who made 21, and added another 47 for the fifth wicket with Antiguan Devon Thomas, who got 15. Unbeaten on 78 at the break, Edwards combined with Baugh afterwards to add 22 for the sixth wicket and looked set for his 10th first-class hundred when he edged Cornwall to slip at 189 for six. Cornwall then pulled off a fine return catch three balls later to remove David Bernard Jr, with no runs added to the score, as the death knell sounded for Scorpions. With hope dwindling quickly, Cottrell threw his bat around for three fours and three sixes in a 47-ball cameo, which unnerved Hurricanes, as he and Nikita Miller (15 not out) put on 34 for the last wicket. Fittingly, Cornwall took the final wicket to hand Scorpions their third defeat of the season. AT KENSINGTON OVAL: Windward Islands Volcanoes, trailing Barbados Pride by 200 runs on first innings, were 134 for seven in their second innings at the close on the penultimate day of their sixth-round match yesterday. Scores: VOLCANOES 250 (AndrÈ Fletcher 84, Kavem Hodge 53, Shane Shillingford 28; Miguel Cummings 5-47, Sulieman Benn 3-65) and 134 for seven (Keddy Lesporis 29, Johnson Charles 25, Andre Fletcher 25; Roston Chase 3-19, Sulieman Benn 2-38). PRIDE 450 for five decl. (Shai Hope 162, Kraigg Brathwaite 117, Roston Chase 40 not out, Kyle Corbin 38, Carlos Brathwaite 27; Johnson Charls 2-51, Shane Shillingford 2-131).last_img read more

Sandals club a playground of opportunity for juniors

first_imgFor many of the youth living in and around Upton District, St Ann, the Sandals Golf and Country Club provides a playground of opportunity with its junior golf programme. Catering to children as young as five years, the long-running golf project, part of the community outreach for the hotel resort chain, is enabling talent for the sport and bigger things. “It teaches them golf and life skills,” Miguel Arthurs, general manager, Sandals Golf and Country Club, explained. “Discipline, sportsmanship, honesty, provides tutors for academics, mentors,” he continued, outlining benefits of the programme that is coordinated from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. Through training, the participants develop their game to a high standard, with many moving on to represent both Jamaica’s junior and senior golf teams. In fact, the current Caribbean Amateur Golf Championship winner, Romaine Evans, developed in the programme, as well as Wesley Brown, who has graduated onto the United States Professional circuit. It even provides opportunities for a higher education, through golfing scholarships. “We’ve people who joined the programme not thinking they’d have gone on to college,” exclaimed Arthurs. “It’s opening doors where they didn’t exist. “That’s teaching a man how to fish,” he continued. “In a word, that sort of experience is priceless.” The programme is funded by the Sandals Foundation, plus proceeds from events such as the recent series of Travel Industry Golf competitions, which culminated with the 21st staging of the Baxter’s Golf Tournament. During these events there are contests such as the Closest to the Pin, Longest Drive and Putting and Chipping. Participants pay to enter and those monies are funnelled into the golf club’s junior programme. “It’s the only way to secure the program and continue the development of the youth,” said Arthurs. Expanding on the positives, he pointed to tournaments held at the club that involve members of the programme and noted the effect it had in bringing out family and friends. “Families, friends come out to the tournaments, so you’re creating a ripple effect … That’s where you’re making a real change, when you can change the psyche (mindset) of a person that is priceless. That person can change the thought process of others as well,” Arthurs reasoned. “It’s a game of discipline and sportsmanship … and you’re seeing tangible results. If you’re not seeing tangible change then it’s pointless. There’s the community effect and it’s building families,” he added. “The junior golf program has rekindled my faith about what is possible when you invest in young people.”last_img read more

Champions Denbigh, Holmwood make seniors final

first_imgDEFENDING rural Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) junior and senior netball champions, Denbigh High and Holmwood Technical, stayed on course to defend their titles with semi-final wins at Clarendon Park yesterday. Among the juniors, Denbigh had a convincing 40-29 win over Holmwood Technical, while Knox registered a close 30-27 win over Manchester High. In the seniors matchups, Holmwood got by Manchester High 44-42, while Titchfield booked their first finals appearance by last year’s beaten finalists, Denbigh, 40-36. The Carlene Graham Powell-coached Holmwood, the all-island champions, had to come from behind to get by a stubborn Manchester High. Showing no fear, the plucky Manchester took the initiative and led 10-8 after the first quarter. They maintained their two-goal advantage at the halfway mark, leading 20-18. The third quarter belonged to Manchester as they increased their lead by six going into the final quarter, with the score at 30- 24. However, with their title on the line and their experienced long-time coach taking crucial timeouts to break the flow of their opponents, a resilient Holmwood rallied to make another rural final. “We lost many of our players from last year and this finals appearance was new to most of these girls and we didn’t come out with the intensity I expected from them. But a win is a win and we are looking forward to the finals with Titchfield, who we will be playing in a final for the first time,” said Graham-Powell. Finally there After knocking at the door for several years, where they have been at the semi-final stage on a regular basis, Titchfield led from start to finish with quarterly scores of 9-8, 18-16, 28-24 before winning 40-36. Holmwood’s juniors were no match for Denbigh, despite making a good start. Denbigh led 10-9 after the first quarter, 23-15 at half-time and 31-21 after the third quarter. It was close going all the way between Knox and Manchester in the junior battle, as Knox led 9-7 after the first quarter, before their opponent drew level 11-11 at half-time. Knox went ahead 19-18 at the third quarter, before fighting it out for the narrow win. The finals will be played next Wednesday, but no venue has been decided.last_img read more

Bavuma first black South African to make Test 100

first_img FIGHTBACK England were left ruing a bunch of missed catches, giving let-offs to Amla, Bavuma, AB de Villiers, Faf du Plessis and Chris Morris, who all made half-centuries in the South African fightback. The dream batting strip helped South Africa as much as it helped England in their first innings, when Ben Stokes struck a stunning 258 from 198 balls. It was so good that tailender Morris hit boundaries with reverse sweeps off England spinner Moeen Ali and was the fifth South African to go past 50 with his 69. The only glimpse of hope for England came in the afternoon, when Amla’s dismissal sparked three quick wickets in four overs from Stuart Broad and James Anderson and a brief opportunity to push for victory. England had waited 70 overs for any kind of breakthrough. DERAILED CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP): Temba Bavuma became the first black South African to make a Test century in helping his team defiantly declare at 627-7 in reply to England’s 629-6 declared in the second Test yesterday. Captain Hashim Amla made 201 and Bavuma reached 102 not out to effectively wipe out England’s advantage and probably save a draw with one day to play on a serene pitch, where runs have flowed and bowlers have struggled. Bavuma, raised in a poor township in Cape Town, gave South Africa a feel-good moment after the pressure they have been under early in this series and in this game. “When I made my debut for South Africa, I came to be a bit more aware and realise the significance behind it more,” said Bavuma, the first black specialist batsman to play for the Proteas. “It’s always been an inspiration for other kids, black African kids, to aspire to.” England were 16-0 in their second innings to lead by 18 after batting out the last six overs of the day. Broad began by bowling Amla for 201 and had Quinton de Kock caught for just five. Between those strikes, Anderson forced out Faf du Plessis to a catch in the slips for 86. The three rapid strikes threatened to derail South Africa’s fightback and leave them still some way behind. But Bavuma and tailender Chris Morris responded with a century stand, the third of the South African innings. Bavuma sent a thick edge down to third man for four for his century and celebrated by removing his helmet and waving his bat excitedly at the crowd in the city where he was born. Bavuma’s family watched from the stands, including his father, who used to be a journalist. “He was here today. He’s quite happy. I’ll see him later tonight. He’ll probably have a few questions as well,” Bavuma said.last_img read more